Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Accent on Five


Five coverI am such a bad blogger!!! Not updating my blog for all this time now. Bad me! Bad me! But I have been busy, you see. With sending out Five to radio and the like (yep, that's the final cover to the left. The shirt is gingham/checkerboard, but it prolly looks all weird shrunk like that. People aren't about the shirt, but I like it and stand by my choisie), and something else that I'll announce soonly, I've been completerly busyfied lately. And that sort of explains why I haven't updated. Sort of. And now that I haven't written in forever I can't remember what in the wurlt I wanted to say. So I'm just finna wing it.

Since Five is working its way to radio and soonly will be at CDBaby, I suppose I will give a li'l description of it here. It's called Five cux it's my 5th CD (Bling, Superpowerpusssy, Images of Rapture from the Boggle Woggle, Radio Friendly and now Five), and it has five installments of Ed Shepp Exposes, which are: Ed Shepp Exposes Salmelope Cruzak, where I talk about the daughter of Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz; Ed Shepp Exposes Opravion, where I elucidate y'all about the drug created from Oprah; Ed Shepp Exposes the Isle of Agbar, where I educate about the island in Martha Stewart's estate; Ed Shepp Exposes Melissa Perkins 1.0, where I expose the computer virus that causes NOOS; and Ed Shepp Exposes Ed Shepp, where I talk about the story of Ed Shpep. Other pieces on the CD: Pigfucker, inspired by everyone I don't like; Swamp, inspired by a particularly negative individual I knew; Daria Cayne Model Academy, inspired in small part by Barbizon and Marsha Doll Models; Eat the Pussy (the name says it all); Partydance, a PSA-like piece about the dangers of drugs and dropping out of school, and the benefits of fruits & vegetables; Le C Est Pour Chatte, the French radio mix of The P Is for Pussy; and A Brief Introduction, where you hear CandyApple Sharonta's debut. And of course Dance of the Sugarplum Beepner and Event to Remember, from the audio xmas card, are there too. And that's all of Five. ...or is it?

What else did I have to say... Hmm..... Well, I don't have the book with me, but I'm going to mention it anyway. It seems that the issue of class is huge now, what with the Times doing its series that I never read on it and all. And of course I'm unintentionally smack dab in the zeitgeist regarding the issue, cux I just recently finished the bell hooks book Where We Stand: Class Matters. (I actually quoted it in a recorded piece that I am positive people will take the wrong way. I'm sure people won't hear what I'm actually saying, but only a few choice charged words, and then they'll come to their own erroneous conclusions. They always do.) (Speaking of people misinterpreting--bell hooks spells her name this way, with no capitals.) I read it to clarify myne own thoughts on the issue, and I recommend the book. On the whole it's great--there were just a couple places where I thought she might have been a little glib, seeming to assign volition to social forces where I don't think there was one. For example, she talks about the ruling class doing things with the intention of exploiting the underprivileged classes--instances in which I agreed with her that the end result is exploitation, but I don't think there was a conscious intent to produce this result. And she talks about new age spirituality aiming to justify the status quo with regard to wealth distribution--I don't think new age spirituality aimed to do anything per se, but the particular beliefs some of it endorses may have not-quite-intentionally produced this effect. Overall, however, it's a good book.

And in a sort-of-related-to-class vein, there are certain things it seems no one will tell you. No one will tell you your hair looks brassy. No one will tell you you're putting on weight (but they'll tell you if you lose it! They'll say, yeah, you were huge! And you'll be like, well, why didn't you tell me that when I was enhugeifying!?!?!) And it seems that people won't tell you when you have a regional accent. I recently told someone that ze has a pronounced regional accent. Ze denied that ze did. So I took hir to other people and said, 'Doesn't ze have a strong regional accent?' and everyone was like, 'no, ze doesn't have any accent.' Then, typically, when I came around later without hir, the people told me, 'wow! ze really does have a strong accent!' And I'm like why did you say ze didn't?!?! I guess that's a new taboo--telling someone they have a regional accent. Cux we all know that most regional accents are class signifiers. I mean, down in Georgia a particular twang signifies a particular class position; similar to the sound of a Long Islan or Jersey accent here. Now, I'm not saying that my voice is perfectly inflection-free (sometimes I have a little Florida sunshine in my speech), but it doesn't need to be for me to talk about accents. And I can speak purt-well standard when I care to (listen here and here and tell me if I have a pronounced regional accent. Really, tell me if I do.). Sometimes, however, I do have something of a 'festive' lilt to my voice, and I wonder if, perhaps, that's why people were reticent to point out other peoples' accents in front of me. Then again, I tend to give everyone way too much credit, so I doubt people are canny enough to think like that.

Wow. I think that's a big enough entry for now. Readers, enjoy! Visitors, misinterpret! And that's my beep for now.

Beep!
Ed Shepp

No comments: